Thursday, May 5, 2022

Please Shut Diablo Canyon today!

Letter to Governor Newsom

May 4, 2022

(Gov. Newsom has a "pro" and "con" tab at the web site; I checked off "con" since I disagree with his stance. But I'm pro-clean energy!)

=================================================

Subject: Build wind, solar, tide power, geothermal...anything but nuclear!

Dear Governor Newsom,

Some years before you became governor, I spoke at a hearing you were chairing. It was an all-day event, and I was actually quite sure we (the "anti-nuclear" people) had won the day...but much to my amazement, despite your thoughtful questions and remarks throughout the day, you put the kibosh on my hopes when you announced your decision -- which, if I recall, was to give SoCalEd the money needed to replace the steam generators. How'd that work out?

Now, Ukraine is in a bloody war that everyone is afraid will go nuclear at any moment...and Putin keeps threatening NATO, Britain, and yes -- the U.S. with escalating the war to nuclear levels. He has already flown missiles over three reactor sites in Ukraine, and taken over the largest reactor site in Europe, as well as the defunct Chernobyl site. Nuclear power makes us weak and vulnerable. Nuclear WASTE makes us weak and vulnerable. And we already have more waste than California can deal with.

Recently I created a short (28 page) online booklet based on my own 50+ years of studying nuclear power, interviews with dozens of scientists over the years, and my collection of over 500 books and videos, as well as thousands of pdfs and other documents on nuclear issues.

I hope you will read it (link below) and stop this nonsense about keeping Diablo Canyon open any longer. Any day California might enter the realm of Fukushima or Chernobyl, and even if not, the additional waste DCNPP will create over the next few years is hot, dangerous, poisonous, and an expensive legacy to leave for our descendants.

Please feel free to contact me any time if you have any questions.

https://www.animatedsoftware.com/environment/no_nukes/2022/BeginnersGuideToNuclearPowerAndWeapons.pdf

Best regards,

Ace Hoffman
Carlsbad, CA

That rust hole in the Emergency Core Cooling System meant the plant had to shut down for a week for repairs, because it can't operate with a non-functioning ECCS. The ECCS hadn't been inspected for many years, by either PG&E or the NRC. Both were lax/lazy and falsified records.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments should be in good taste and include the commentator's full name and affiliation.